Skip to main content
 

Stings

Stings
Click to enlarge

Unfortunately, it’s that time of year where we see plenty of pets with swollen faces or paws. Some of you will see your pet being stung, which means you can identify the type of sting, but many of you will simply notice a swelling.

What should I do?

Typical signs include pain, redness and swelling. Even if your pet seems well in themselves it’s worthwhile keeping a close eye on them for the next 24 hours as an allergic reaction could develop. Allergic reactions can cause your pet to be sick, wobbly on their feet and they may even develop breathing difficulties.

How serious are stings?

It completely depends on the type of insect and how the pet reacts to the venom.  Also, the location of the sting may increase severity – stings to the back of the throat, mouth and neck could affect breathing.

Bee Stings

Bees have a barbed stinger and can leave this embedded in your pet’s skin. Scrape out the sting rather than pulling it out with tweezers, which could result in more venom being released.  Bee stings are acidic so you can bathe with a water and bicarbonate of soda mixture.

Wasp Stings

Wasps do not leave a stinger behind. They are alkaline so the area can be bathed with vinegar or lemon juice to neutralise the sting.

If you are unsure then please just give us a call, just like dear Purdey’s mum did when she was stung by a bee last week.