Skip to main content
 

Mycotoxicity

Mycotoxicity
Click to enlarge

Mycotoxicity has been highlighted recently on the BBC Programme 'Trust Me, I'm a Vet' and we are incredibly sad to announce that we have recently had two cases.  The first patient we managed to successfully treat and after lots of intensive care eventually went home.  The second patient unfortunately we couldn’t save.

Mycotoxicity is the ingestion of mouldy food or decomposing matter. It is, however, a certain type of mould, mostly found on bread, cheese and pasta. But to be on the safe side, just don’t allow your dog access to any old foodstuffs.

Symptoms will ultimately depend on the amount and type of mycotoxin ingestion but include;

  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Hyperactivity
  • Panting and increased heart rate and body temperature

Patients are normally put into a medically induced coma to help their body cope with the substantial shock. The whole hospital responds to the patient, lights are dimmed and noise kept to a minimum. Vital signs are continuously recorded along with 24-hour intensive nursing.

We’d like you all to be aware of the devastating effects this poison can have.

So please – keep your rubbish locked away.