Skip to main content
 

Autumn Changes

Autumn Changes
Click to enlarge

Autumn is a beautiful time of year with the change in colour and falling leaves.

But are you aware of the potential dangers to your pet?

  •  Loose leaves – are great to kick about and play in, but damp, piled leaves are a haven for mould and mycotoxins. If ingested it could lead to loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhoea.
  • Conkers – although poisoning is rare it can occur if your pet eats a large volume. Symptoms include excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. They can also cause intestinal blockage.
  • Acorns – if ingested they can cause damage to the liver and kidneys. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhoea, abdominal pain and lethargy.
  • Rotten fruit – ferments if it’s left to rot on the ground. It contains ethanol which is likely to cause vomiting and diarrhoea if scavenged.
  • Plants that flower in Autumn – such as chrysanthemums, autumn crocus and clematis leaves can all be toxic to cats and dogs, causing skin irritation, upset tummy and loss of balance. 
  • Mushrooms – the majority are non-toxic but we would recommend preventing any ingestion just to be on the safe side.

 

Most importantly have fun and enjoy the autumn months before the cold winter envelops us.

If you have any concerns that your pet may have eaten something whilst out give your local branch a call.