Skip to main content
 

Happy HOWLOWEEN

Happy HOWLOWEEN
Click to enlarge

There are many exciting parts of halloween including trick or treating, costumes and so much more. However it is also a time for our pets to eat some inappropriate things… 

Halloween treats

There are many issues with our pets eating halloween chocolate and candy: 

Chocolate poisoning - Chocolate contains an ingredient called Theobromine found in cocoa beans. The darker the chocolate the more theobromine is present, this can cause an increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhoea and restlessness. Chocolate poisoning can be fatal.

Xylitol / Birch Sugar - This is a sweetener commonly found in sugar-free sweets, mints and chewing gum. It is commonly found in birch trees which is why it can be hidden by the name “birch sugar”. This can cause liver failure.

Pumpkin - These often taste bitter and put pets off eating them however many shop bought pumpkins are of a sweeter variety. Accidental ingestion can cause a gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting and diarrhoea. 

Costumes - Have some very fun things for our pets to play with such as feathers, fine wire and mesh. These items can cause a blockage and make your pet very unwell causing vomiting and diarrhoea.

We hope that all our patients and their owners can have a very enjoyable halloween!