Skip to main content

Animal Health Certificate


Pet travel to Europe

The old Pet Passports are no longer valid, instead there’s a new system in place called the Animal Health Certificate

The steps are similar to the old scheme – BUT there are some changes to be mindful of:

  • Ensure that your pet (dog, cat, ferret) is microchipped.
  • They must be vaccinated against rabies.
  • They cannot travel until 21 days after the first vaccination.
  • Ensure your pet is treated against tapeworm 5 days before arrival (if it’s a tapeworm free country) and before entry into the UK.

It is the owner’s responsibility to check the rules and not the veterinary surgeon.

The AHC can be issued from 10 days before the planned date of travel.

The Animal Health Certificate is valid for travel back into the UK, and onward travel within the EU up to four months after it was issued. YOUR pet will need a new AHC for each time you leave the UK.

If you have any questions please do speak to your veterinary surgeon to help you organise the correct paperwork.